On a website dedicated to the interests of men, are we surprised only two movies that focus on female athletes are included? Fine, I guess not.
That said, those two movies*, especially A League of their Own which barely broke the top 20, should be higher on the list. Frankly, the write up on ALOFO was pretty lazy, imploring readers not to be sexist because the cast was good. Okay, there's a lot more to say, but I'm not here to write your columns for you, Guyism guys.
What female-centric sports movie would I add to the list? Definitely The Cutting Edge, which was super cheesy but also really adorable and made me, a young ice skater, even more excited about my sport. See also:
- Bring It On, the 90s masterpiece about high school cheerleading
- Bend It Like Beckham, if you like soccer and Keira Knightley (I don't but girl power and such)
- National Velvet, which has Elizabeth "Freakin'" Taylor as the star
- Blue Crush, because we all know surfing is the most bad ass sport. Seriously, which other mainstream sports put you in such imminent danger of being attacked by two great white sharks?
- Girlfight, which is not only poignant as hell but introduced us to Michelle Rodriguez
- and the lesser figure skating romance movie: Ice Castles
What other women-in-sports movies would you add to the list?
*Million Dollar Baby was the other movie and the Academy Award winner came in at #27, not even in the top half of best movies. To be fair, I've never seen the film, but it had Clint Eastwood so shouldn't a
sexist men's website rank it higher?